Skip to main content

Self-Portrait vs Selfie (2 post day)

Self Portrait vs Selfie

        What is the difference between a self-portrait and a selfie? A "selfie" is usually described as a photo one takes of one's self, typically taken on a cell phone or on a webcam. Most of the time, a selfie is taken with the intention of posting it on some sort of social media platform (eg. Instagram, Snapchat...). On the other hand, a self-portrait is made by its artist and is more about conveying a mood or a certain vibe, as opposed to selfies, in which having a pretty face is one of the only concerns.
        Personally, I prefer self-portraits over selfies. Selfies can be pretty dry and boring sometimes... most people use the same angle, the same face, and the same filter. I find that self-portraits tend to be more unique and outside of the box. Take this photo of Andy Warhol, for example:
It's much more unique than the average selfie.

        I'm not saying that selfies can't be unique or interesting, I just think that on average, self-portraits are more intriguing. No one selfie is more important than a self-portrait; someone could have put the same amount of time getting ready to take their selfie as Warhol did editing his portrait.

     












"Please also find a school-appropriate "selfie" you have taken and post it on your blog."
                                                             









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ACADEMIC SHOOT REFLECTION

CHOOSING A BOOK In this photograph, I demonstrate the rule of balance. The subject in this image is the student. I think it is somewhat clear that the subject in this image is the student, but  it could also be the books. I should have had her more in focus. CONVERSATION AMONGST WORLD HISTORY STUDENTS I think this photo is framed well. The Subjects in this image are the two boys in the blue plaid and red, grey, and black hoodie. I do not think it is very clear who the subjects are because of the side angle this photo was taken at, so I should have taken it from a different angle. PEER REFLECTION This image depicts simplicity. I think it is clear that the subject is the girl wearing the dark blue flannel and the girl in the black shirt because they are the most in-focus.  WORKING LIBRARIAN  This photograph demonstrates the rule of thirds. There is not much going on in the centre of the image. It is clear that the subject is the librar...

Portfolios Pt. 2

Do not agree: I do not agree with the fac that "there's no crying in sports photography." An athlete in tears after a game was lost has a similar impact as a photo of a celebrating athlete after a game is won. Agree: The tobogganing photo is beauiful. There's a nice light to it and the trees in the background add a nice touch. Great dynamics.